Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I bought some pumpkin the other day at the market with a dream to make something but no idea what. A soup crossed my mind, but then I stumbled across an interesting recipe for cookies on allrecipes.com.
Preheat oven to ~175C/350F.
In a large bowl, mix:
1 1/2-2 cups of canned or fresh pumpkin (for fresh, roast some pumpkin for around 30 minutes or until soft at ~175C/350F, then mash)1 cup sugar
1/2 cup of vegetable oil (NB: applesauce can be substituted for oil. In this recipe I did about 1/3 cup apple sauce and a bit oil, so it gives it a little fatty taste)
1 egg
Since I my pumpkin mashed, it didn't turn out so creamy, so I put the above 4 in a blender and pureed for a little bit (though not too long, as you don't want to whip the egg).
In a different bowl sift:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and/or any other of that kind of spice you have lying around
1/2 tsp of saltThen, mix the 2 aforementioned bowls and add 1 tsp of baking soda that has been dissolved in 1 tbsp of milk. I don't know what this does, but that's what the recipe called for.
Finally, add 1 tbsp of vanilla essence and as much chocolate chips as you'd like (I think I did about 1 1/2 cups) and mix well.The final dough should be pretty liquid and gloopy, unlike Natash's cookies. I tasted mine and it was lacking something, so I grated some fresh nutmeg (which I hadn't added in the first place) and it tasted much better. Always make sure to taste your dough! The final product usually tastes better, but it's convenient to spot a mistake ahead of time before you pop it in the oven and are screwed.
Spoon balls onto greased baking sheet or baking paper on a pan. Let bake for ~10 minutes or until lightly brown and pretty firm.
The top batch are cooked, the bottom were just slopped on.
Enjoy with some milk and don't forget to share.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey pumpkin~
they also look great,as usual.
your home-made cookies are much much better than Orion chocopies. kk