Thursday, August 9, 2007

Spicy Pumpkin, Cauliflower, Chickpea with Rice

I found this recipe in our local Brisbane magazine. It looked delicious, healthy, and pretty easy and so I gave it a whirl. It called for couscous, which I didn't have, so I used medium-grain rice instead.
Prepare:
-Cook 1-1.5 cups of rice
-Dice pumpkin, onion, hot pepper, and cauliflower into small chunks-Crush a couple cloves of garlic
-Drain 1 can of chickpeas
-Prepare spices and herbs: cumin, curry powder, basil, parsley
Cook:
-In a wok on medium heat, lightly fry garlic in (olive) oil
-Throw in onion, cauliflower, and pumpkin and cook for about 10 minutes-Add spicy pepper and cook for about 5-1o more minutes, or until veggies are tender (stick a fork in a piece of pumpkin and if it comes out easily, then it's ready)-Add chickpeas, 1/2-1 tsp cumin and curry powder, as well as salt, pepper, etc.-Cook through for about 5 minutes or until chickpeas are fully heated and semi-cooked
-Mix in rice, once stirred through, rice should acquire brown quality
-Serve with a bit of olive oil and some fresh, chopped basil and parsley (I didn't have fresh so I used dried, unfortunately)Tips:
-Zucchini would go great in this (in fact, that's what the recipe called for), I would add it in with the peppers. Broccoli would be good, too.
-I didn't have any curry powder, so I used extra cumin, some pico de gallo and

No comments: