Thursday, August 9, 2007

Lime and Vanilla Pound Cake

I had some leftover sour cream in my fridge and since I don't like sour cream, I decided to make a cake with it. I found a decent recipe on allrecipes. Well, I hesitated for too long and the sour cream went bad, but I decided to go with the recipe anyway, substituting vanilla yogurt instead. It turned out fantastic: moist on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside and not too sweet!
Prepare:
-Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
-In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup (115g) of butter with 1 1/2 cups of sugar, blend until smooth
-Add in 3 eggs and 1/2 cup yogurt (or sour cream)
-Mix well
-Add 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour and a pinch of baking soda
-Add the juice and zest of one lemon or lime
-Pour into greased loaf pan
Cook:
-Place pan in oven, bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out dry (it took me exactly 1 hour)
Tips:
-I also added some mandarin zest in my cake mix
-I used vanilla yogurt, but plain yogurt would also be nice. Adding a bit of vanilla essence would make it more vanilla-y. Also, you could nix the vanilla and add poppy seed for a nice lemon-poppy seed cake. I love chocolate and was thinking of adding it, but I thought it wouldn't work with the citrus. If I make it again, I'll cancel the lemon and add chocolate chips
-Fresh strawberries on top would be great

No comments: