Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Creamy Zucchini & Garlic Soup

I was craving something with zucchini and garlic in it (who doesn't?) thinking about an interesting side dish that I ate often in Korea. That side dish didn't jump out at me while I was googling, but this recipe from an Atkins website did and I decided to give it a go. It turned out very unthick and too salty: I used much more stock than I should have given the little amount of zucchini I used. Next time, I would double the zucchini.
Prepare:
-3 cups of stock/3 cups warm water and 3tsp stock powder
-2 medium-large zucchinis, peeled, halved, and julienned-1 cup of peas (I didn't have any)
-Several cloves of garlic, peeled (I used something like 7)
-1/4 cup thick cream
-1-3 spicy peppers (optional)
Cook:
-Set the stock to boil with the garlic and pepper inside, boil for 15 minutes-Add zucchini and boil another 7-8 minutes or until zucchini is tender, add peas after 7 minutes-Throw veggies and a bit of broth into a blender, puree, pour out and use the stock water to help clear out the blender (unless you're lucky enough to have a hand-blender)
-Set on low heat, add the cream and simmer for a couple minutes
-Eat with some thick bread Tips:
-For nutritional purposes, one could substitute the cream for skim milk and a tbsp or 2 of corn flour
-Corn would work well in this soup, as would broccoli

No comments: