Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chocolate and walnut biscotti

I got this recipe from a cute-little Italian cook book I got from my girlfriend's nephew and niece. The book is Italian Light and Easy and has a number of nice recipes, that I have cooked.

Prepare:
-Chop about 1 cup of walnuts, toast for 8 minutes at 350F. Keep oven on for the cookies
-In a bowl, melt 2 oz unsweetened chocolate with 3 tbsp unsalted butter in a microwave (about 1 minute), then let cool
-In a large bowl sift 1 1/4c flour with 1 tsp baking powder-In a different bowl, beat 2 eggs; add 1/2 cup sugar and blend; then add the chocobutter
-Stir the two together, then fold in walnuts
-On a lightly greased cookie sheet, form a roll, about 14 inches long, 3 inches wide, smooth
Cook:
-Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until firm all the way through
-Take out the biscotti roll and cut diagonally, 1/2 inch-wide pieces
-Place pieces on wire frame (I used the wired rack of the oven, cleaned) and back another 15 minutes
-Cool and enjoy

Tips:
-Any nut would work well for this. I think in the future, I'd try pecans or something
-I only had sweetened chocolate, so I used that and reduced the sugar by a tablespoon. The cookies weren't that sweet (though maybe they're not supposed to be) and in the future, I'd keep the sugar the same
-Adding dried cranberries or raisins would only be a plus with these babies!

No comments: