Monday, July 30, 2007

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

When I was making the pumpkin soup a couple days ago, I was sure to save the seeds. Toasted pumpkin seeds are a relatively easy and delicious snack, not to mention fairly healthy.
Prepare:
-Seed a pumpkin, separating the seeds from the pulp as best you can. It will be a bit slimy
-Wash the seeds. I placed the seeds in a bit of water and let it soak for about 5 minutes, twirling every so often - this helps to further separate the pulp and leave just the seed. Scoop or sieve out the seeds (but not the pulp) and spread out on a plate
-Leave the plate out and let the seeds dry overnight. I left mine for two days (due to time constraints) and they were still good-Once they're dry, toss them in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, so they're all covered
-Lay them on a oven-proof pan/foil and sprinkle seasonings on top: salt, pepper, cumin, etc... whatever you like. I used garlic salt and red pepper powderCook:
-Preheat oven/toaster oven to 250F
-Place pan in oven
-Toast for one hour, mixing up the seeds every 20 minutesUpdate:
-I made this again with cracked black pepper, garlic salt, and cumin and it turned out quite well. I think my next go will be in a different vein: brown sugar and cinnamon
-I made brown sugar and cinnamon and it did not turn out well at all, sad to say. Either the butter or the sugar were unable to withstand the temperatures of the toaster oven for an hour, since it charred. Also, the seeds hardly tasted sweet or cinnamony. Oh well - I guess I'll stick with savory

No comments: