Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Groomed Hamburger

I like my hamburgers to be a little interesting. A plain beef patty just doesn't do it for me. I had a bit of beef left over from my stir fry, so I decided to mess around with a seasoned hamburger.
Prepare:
-1/4-1/2 lb of beef, defrosted
-finely chop anything that piques your interest. I did a small chili pepper, a small clove of garlic, a bit of onion, and some fresh cilantro-mix herbs into patty, and add a splash of Worcestershire sauce (I added a bit of soy sauce and some garlic salt), and mix well. Mold into a ball
Cook:
-Preheat your grill and throw the patty on (I don't have a grill and in Australia they have this weird mini-oven as part of the oven that functions as a grill)-Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until the inside is the color that you like
Tips:
-Really, the hamburger can extend as far as your mind/kitchen allows. Mixing in basil, chives, oregano, parsley, etc would all work well. As would perhaps tomato or pepper, or a nice hard cheese
-I'm not sure about the egg-issue. I think the burger may benefit from an egg in the mix, but I didn't find mine lacking.
I enjoyed mine with some cheddar, tomato, cilantro, and a spicy cilantro/chili pepper sauce, with roasted pumpkin and sweet potato on the side.
Update:
-I just made an amazing batch: finely diced green onion leaves and chili pepper, hot pepper powder, garlic salt, 1 egg, and some diced fresh mozzarella. They were great.

No comments: