Sunday, October 7, 2007

Zucchini and Basil

This is a pretty simple and wonderfully delicious side dish that I whipped up for dinner tonight. I got the recipe (idea...inspiration) from this site. Modified it a bit for my own tastes, of course. This makes about 4 persons worth of side dish, but I ate half of it for most of my meal tonight...
Prepare:
-Slice 3 zucchini and 2 button squash (total of about 2 1/2-3 cups of sliced veggie)
-Chop 1 medium onion (I did 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red)
-Chop 1/2 cup worth of basil
-Crush 4 cloves garlicCook:
-On medium heat, in some olive oil, cook garlic first for about 1 minute, then add the rest of the ingredients, except only half the basil. -Lightly fry for 7-10 minutes or until zucchini starts to get tender. Add salt, cracked pepper, a bit of soy sauce, a dash of sesame oil, and some sesame seeds-Take off heat, mix the rest of basil into it
Tips:
-Adding chili oil/freshly chopped hot peppers would be a spicy side
-I found eating it with white rice, wrapped in seaweed, was quite a treat
-This is very simple and any vegetable you liked could be cooked this way. I think broccoli, carrot, snow-peas, pumpkin or sweet potato (the last two would need longer time to cook... perhaps steamed for 5-10 minutes before frying would be good) would all work wonderfully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael - I started a blog where I'm (hopefully) going to put on the recipes of things we cook. Thought you might be interested - http://treesfilesmapsoregonbrettfood.wordpress.com